Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Where to Find Old Obits for Prescott's Daily Courier

I've been trying to find an obituary from 1985 for my great-grandmother and in the process learned a few things and thought I'd share the info.

First, the Prescott Library tells me they have old Couriers (our local newspaper) dating back to the 1920's and that I should be able to come in and find the obituary.  I also called the Prescott Valley Library to see I could access those old newspapers through the in-house computer system, and was told they don't have the capability.

The Prescott Valley Library also told me that that they only save 2 weeks worth of newspapers anymore since much of the information can be found online now.  Interestingly enough, they do have some old information which they must keep for 56 years ... in case lawyers and genealogical researchers need access to it for lawsuits, etc. 

The electronic archives at the Daily Courier only go back to the year 2000.  However, Sharlot Hall has microfilm from the founding of the Daily Courier in their museum and can make facsimiles of old obituaries. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment