In today's culture, very few people stayed married forever any more. So it's not uncommon to have to enter divorces into your Family Tree Maker software. Sadly, entering divorces is not very intuitive, so I thought I would share the steps here.
These instructions are for Family Tree Maker 2010. If you're using an earlier version of Family Tree Maker, the steps may vary a bit.
- Open Family Tree Maker and access the person in your tree that you desire to enter a divorce for. This assumes that you've already entered the appropriate data for the marriage. When you double click the person's name, you'll be shown a new screen with just that person. Your screen should look like the image below:
- To Enter the divorce, click the "+" sign (circled above) to add a new fact (a window pops up)
- Scroll down the list until you find "divorce" and then click OK.
- If you've already entered more than one spouse for this person, make sure you have the correct spouse selected before entering the date. If the wrong spouse is selected, use the pull-down arrow (circled above) to select the correct spouse.
- Enter the date of the divorce.